Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Two Steps Forward, Four Steps Back



I wish this kid always looked this happy in his bed.

The other night as I was tucking him in he says to me

"""Mommy, I'm afraid when you're not with me."

Two steps forward, four steps back.

I forget that while most kiddos love new adventures - trips to new places, new friends, new activities.

Bubbe is not most kiddos.

Bubbe is an old man trapped in the body of an adorable five year old. He wants to wake up every day and things always be the same. He wants to know what to expect around every corner. He wants life to be simple and understandable. The same.

Exactly the same.

A few weeks ago we took the kids on a family camping trip. New place. New adventure.

Voila - return of anxieties. 

It's like we never went to months of therapy (though I can assure you that my checkbook says we did). We went months with no episodes. None. And then...........BOOM.

Camping.

The therapist (did I mention we graduated MONTHS ago?) says that we can't quit doing new things. We have to continue to expose Bubbe to new things to help him learn how to negotiate the world around him.

You think she does home visits for bedtime?????

1 comment:

  1. Erg. I'm sorry. The only advice I have is to just do what you did before and maybe, slowly but surely, he'll come back around.

    I'm going to blog about you tomorrow -- I hope that's alright? I'm going to blog about your technology free camping trip. I think we're going to try it on our vacation this summer. I'm already scared to death! :)

    ReplyDelete