Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Obsessions

I love to read.

For as far back as I can remember, reading has been an amazing escape. I can remember hiding in my closet as a child reading. Or lying in the swing in our backyard all day.......reading.

I can probably blame my terrible sense of direction on my love of reading. Every time we got in the car when I was a kid - I read.

Mstar is just like me. She LOVES to read - and has since she could read her first Bob book (Mat - I can probably still quote every page). We put both kids to bed at 7:30 with the stipulation that they can stay up an extra hour if they want to read in their beds. She reads every night. Some nights we forget to go in and tuck her in (some of those Criminal Minds episodes are really engaging..........). We will find her still reading at 10:00 or 11:00 when we head off to bed.

We fuss at her lightly for not remembering to turn off her light - but not really. For, the Coach and I - we love that she's a reader.

And, we often find her in the strangest places engaged in a book............such as this one




Xman has just shown great interest in reading in the last few weeks. A few weeks ago I checked out the McGuffy Ecletic Primer from the library to preview as a possible reading spine for this fall for him. The books were published in the late 1800's. The pictures are small and black and white. He is enthralled. He has now read through two of them. It tickles me as we have always thought he was an old soul so it seems only fitting that he would learn to read with a book from two centuries ago.



This brings me to our newest issue.

We are overwhelmed by books.

There is a bookcase in my living room. Full.

Bookcase in Xman's room. Full

Bookcase in Mstar's room. Full

Three bookcases in our homeschool classroom. Full.

Should I mention now that there are also four HUGE rubbermaid containers of books in storage in our basement?

I'm trying. Really. I am.

The last few days I have been sorting them, keeping oh like 25 and putting ....1? in our donate pile.

It started out as a small project - my intent was to make a list of the books we own that are useful for homeschooling. Mainly to keep me from buying the same book again. And, so when I plan units I will know what we have. And where it is.

But then, it became a walk down memory lane. The Sweet Pickles books that we have all 26 of that were mine as a young child. 

Verdi.........the Coach's favorite picture book

Maniac Magee...........the first chapter book I taught, my first year of teaching.

The Celestine Prophecy........the book that made my husband know he wanted to marry me.

2001 Disney World Travel Guide...........the book we took on our honeymoon. 

I Love You This Much.............the book I bought when I found out I was pregnant, and I read it to Mstar every day from pregnancy until she was big enough to pick out her own books

Rolie Polie Olie in Outer Space..........the first book my daughter fell in love with at a bookstore, and thus began the next generation of obsessive.

The Left Behind Series...........the books that my husband began reading as he grew into his faith.

Stacks of comic books...........Xman picks one every time we go to the bookstore........he lingers so intently and chooses so carefully.....each one is special to him

Peter Pan..........the book my husband read aloud on our first family camping trip.

I could go on and on - describing our family's life in books.

I'm hoping that the years will continue to bring new books and new adventures. 

At the close of each year (school calendar), we purchase each child a special hard back book. The books typically contain a story that is representative of that year. On the interior cover of the book, I paste a picture of them from that school year, and the Coach and I both write a letter in the book to them. These are some of their favorites to read. I hope by continuing this tradition that we are helping them learn to tell their story in books.

So, this week I will be shopping for new books............just two...............I think.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.  ~Anna Quindlen

2 comments:

  1. Ollie's teacher had been reading them a book at school that he really liked and he asked for a copy. It came last night and he sat down at the kitchen table and read for 30 minutes straight. Every time he had a moment's free time I found him with his nose in that book. Boy, did that make me happy! Now, if I can just KEEP him reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should get involved in a book exchange program with someone.

    ReplyDelete