Saturday, January 28, 2012

12. Be passionate. Find something you love and give it everything.

The other sports are just sports.  Baseball is a love.  ~Bryant Gumbel, 1981

Before Sweet Daddy, I hated sports. I didn't like them in person. I liked them even in less on television. Grown men chasing a ball.
Then, I married your Sweet Daddy. And learned to tolerate, even appreciate sports. While I still didn't consider a full Sunday afternoon of football games to be entertaining or stimulating - I could appreciate the joy it brought him. And read a good book quietly. 

But then, came you. My sweet Buddha Bear. 

Who has loved every ball he every set his eyes on. Who has always wanted to throw things the farthest he could, Jump the highest he could, and be the Busiest he could.

I knew from your first season of t-ball the year you were 4 years old that you were going to love baseball.

For you, my Bubbe, are a ruler follower. You like an orderly world. 

Baseball is a game with an umpire on the field at all times. Baseball has rules. 

Three strikes, you're out. Always. 

And you did - you loved your first baseball season.

Then, you developed a love for all baseball. Games on the television. High school baseball games. College level baseball games. Minor League Baseball Games. Major League baseball games.

During a baseball game - you won't even get up to go to the bathroom until every last inning is over. You don't want to miss a moment.

You would play baseball from the moment you wake up until you fall out asleep.

You love baseball. 

And because you love baseball, I love baseball. There is no where I would rather be than watching you play baseball (or even watching you watch baseball!). 

You play baseball with a passion that is amazing. The highest compliment your Sweet Daddy and I have ever received about you playing baseball is that you are a "coachable kid" -  you love to learn, you try your best, you give it everything.

You are passionate.

Be passionate. Find something you love and give it everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment