Saturday, March 3, 2012

32.Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide. Without a calculator.

Do the math!
Dan shrugged. "Thirty-nine is a sweet number. It's thirteen times three. It's also the sum of five prime numbers in a row - 3,5,7,11,13. And if you add the first three powers of three, 3 to the first, 3 to the second, and s to the third, you get thirty-nine."
Amy stared at him. "How did you know that?"
"What do you mean? It's obvious.”
Rick Riordan, The Maze of Bones

You love to shop!

Perhaps more than I even thought was possible. You remind me so much of your Aunt Ashleigh. You wander through stores with the same mission as your Aunt - to decide what is and what isn't fashion worthy - and touch all the things that fall into the "is" category. 

Ever the math teacher mommy, I enjoy these moments for many reasons. 

First, and foremost, I treasure these moments with you. You and me. Walking slow. Laughing and smiling. You and me. 

I also enjoy teaching you the one thing about shopping that I do know a lot about - the math part. 

The intricacies of how much one is if they are 2 for $25. How to decide how much you can spend if you have $20 (hint - not $20 - you have to account for tax). 
 
Never forget how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Without a calculator!  

No comments:

Post a Comment