Wednesday, March 21, 2012

41. The best way to ruin an apology is with an explanation.

Never ruin an apology with an excuse.  ~Kimberly Johnson

While this picture is the end of a successful, fun ride -  when I look at it I remember the ride before this one.

When you and I rode Buzz Lightyear together. 

To say that you are competitive would be........an understatement at best. 

I had scored more points than you - and you had an impressive tantrum. 

I explained to you that winning isn't everything - we had a good time on the ride, we enjoyed each other's company, we were blessed with this experience.

You said "sorry."

But you didn't stop there - "sorry - I was JUST."

Just making an excuse, trying to explain away your actions. That my dear child, is not an apology.

An apology is heartfelt - when you apologize, you are truly sorry and you change your behavior. You do not repeat the offense again. 

It is better to be simple - "I'm sorry." 

Leave it at that.

The best way to ruin an apology is with an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment