Saturday, April 21, 2012

59. Really be where you are. No phones. No "boxes."

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

This is one of my most favorite pictures from vacation.

On this particular morning, your Nana took Bubbe for a walk around downtown Savannah so that you and I could tour the Juliette Gordon Low house. 

The last time I took that tour, I was in the 5th grade - just a few months older than you are now. 


I loved touring the house with you.

I loved how we both had the same favorite part - the library! Juliette was an avid reader and she had hoards of books. You saw several on the shelf that you had read (Little Women being the most exciting).

We had the best time.

We even got someone to take our picture together (proving that I was on vacation after all!).

As we toured the house, there was another mom and daughter in our group. I watched as the mother texted, typed, and scrolled through her phone throughout the whole tour.

Not only is that rude behavior (to both our tour guide and her daughter), but she missed it. She missed the look on her daughter's face when the tour guide told the funny story about how Juliette's mother came sliding down the spiral stair case one time to greet the man who would become her mother. 

Really be where you are.

Give people your undivided attention. You can update your facebook status (in ten years, when I let you have a facebook page), text your best friend (again see the note about ten years), or play angry birds AFTER an event is over. Not during.

No phones.

No boxes.

Really be where you are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment