Friday, August 19, 2016

Chosen

"God is close, and if I choose to be close back, He'll rearrange my feelings."
As the mom of a middle and high schooler this year, we are journeying that season of finding yourself. Experimenting with clothes, hair styles, make up.
I vaguely remember my high school days. I spent most of my time trying to be one of the "CHOSEN." Oddly enough, I wanted to be chosen by those who were different. And spent a lot of time trying to become different. Look different. Act different. Be different. The funny thing about teenagers trying to be different is you end up with a large crowd of people who look the same - thrift store jeans, statement t-shirts, flannel shirts tied around their waist, combat boots from the army surplus store (I couldn't find a picture of me in my "normal" wear).
I think most of us keep a piece of wanting to be "chosen" throughout our life. I've seen some ugly mama discussions over who became room mom or team mom. Some vague-booking over who wasn't invited to this or that. We all want to feel wanted.
We've already been CHOSEN. Each of us. All of us.
12 You are God’s chosen people. You are holy and dearly loved. So put on tender mercy and kindness as if they were your clothes. Don’t be proud. Be gentle and patient. Col 3:12
He's already picked me. I'm one of the cool kids. The cool moms. I'm in the "in crowd." And being chosen by Him should be the ONLY concern of mine.
But so are you. You are chosen by Him too. Because unlike the terrorizing PE days of my youth, he's not exclusive. He's not limiting.
And sometimes that makes being "chosen" here on earth tough. Honestly, the church is one of the places with severe clique problems. The church can cause more ugly "I want to be picked" behavior than anywhere else. We attend a huge church. And thus it is inevitable that there are smaller cliques within it. I don't at all think these people are trying to be excluding or ugly. But I think if you aren't mature in your faith, in your relationship with Him, that you can most certainly think that being in the clique is important.
19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you like one of its own. But you do not belong to the world. I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. John 15:19
Sometimes we feel like maybe He has chosen us but not for the fun carousel ride, but rather the terrible roller coaster. In these moments we have to be intentional - we have chose with our minds to draw ourselves closer to Him. Our emotions will follow.
You see the thing is emotions can betray reality. Wanting to be chosen so bad that you get your feelings hurt, can alter the way you see what is really happening. This is true in all relationships - including ours with Jesus.
Mama Warriors, that first quote is so powerful "God is close, and if I CHOOSE to be close back, He'll rearrange my feelings."
You are one of his CHOSEN.
"Who are the people who have respect for the Lord?
God will teach them the ways they should choose." Psalm 25:12
CHOOSE Him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment