Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Hands Free Living

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:16 - 19
The Peanut is currently entrenched in the "Mommy watch this phase." If you've had a preschooler, you remember it. It's incessant. Constant.
My devotion read talked about the messages we send our children by our actions. I've been really pondering this the last few days. Peanut is being raised in a much different technology house than her siblings before her. When the Princess was a baby, we had a landline phone (I've never been a telephone girl), and a bulky desktop in our basement. When Xman was a baby, I got a job working from home for the DOE and a laptop came with that. Sweet Daddy and I have had smart phones for a little over a year now. Before that we had no contract flip phones.
Now, my house has 4 smart phones, 4 laptops, 2 television, 2 video games systems, ipad, the list goes on.
All of Peanut's people have to CHOOSE to stop what they are doing and "watch this."
When we choose to look at our phones, ipads, computer screens instead of "watching this" - we are sending a VERY loud message.
We are telling our kids YOU are NOT as important as my screen.
That's convicting for me.
I'm responsible for providing my kids with the gift of security. Not just knowing they are important and loved unconditionally by me, but also making sure they know that they are "rooted and established in love" of Christ.
Our world sends so many messages - and often shouts louder than we do. Our world is telling our daughters they are need to be thin, that outwardly appearance trumps all. Our world is telling our sons that they need not have emotions. Our world is telling our children that performance matters, achievement trumps all, and people pleasing is the way to go.
It is our responsibility to make sure our children deeply know this love that surpasses all understanding.
How will they ever know His love, if our attention is distracted? If we are shouting to them - you are NOT as important as my device? How will they know that they can be more important than anything to someone?
Mama Warriors, we have the amazing opportunity to INFLUENCE our children with our actions, for their good. For our good really. We must send them the message that they are important. So they may become deeply rooted in Him.
My challenge this week for myself (and maybe you need it to?) is to not speak to my children with a screen. If someone says "watch this" or begins to tell me something - I either STOP what I'm doing and make eye to eye contact, or I ask them to WAIT just a moment while I close out what I'm working on (I work from home - so sometimes shutting down mid email is hard for me, so I ask them to wait while I finish that one). My main goal is to let my children know that I WANT to stop what I'm doing and give them my undivided attention.
Because, let's face it - those of us with teens, there are some hard years coming. And I don't want the Princess or the Xman to ever not tell me something because they didn't have my attention when they tried. Hands free living................

No comments:

Post a Comment