Saturday, August 13, 2016

Waiting Like David

"It was in the fields of everyday life that David's character was developed to match his calling."
I've been thinking a lot lately about this WAITING. Waiting on God.
My devotion this morning recounted the story of David. It's funny to me how you can think you know a bible story really well, and still find new truth speak to you.
God CHOSE David. He hand picked him. But, he sent him back to his sheep to WAIT.
I'm thinking - "Hey, you are going to be king. I'm not going to give you any special training. Just go on back to your sheep and do your thing. I'll tell you when it's time."
I think I'd be frustrated? I'd want to be king NOW - or at least be sent to some kind of "learn to be king in 180 days school."
God equips us for His calling IN our circumstances. In the fields of everyday life.
" I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit[a] of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better." Ephesians 1:17
The Peanut's bible verse this week is "Nothing can separate us from God's love." Romans 8:38 .........She came home with this hand out from church with motions for each word in her verse. As I've practiced it with her every day this week, I've re-thought the way I study my own bible verses. I should really be reflecting on each phrase/word. Breaking it down.
"I keep asking" - like a persistent pre-schooler deep in the questioning phase. While I wait, I keep asking. I keep asking Him to draw me closer. I keep asking Him to show me the way. I keep asking Him to be with me.
The message translation says "I want you to know God better" - I keep asking, so that I may know God better.
Mama Warriors, somewhere in the diaper changing, the potty training, the laundry, dishes, meal preparing. Somewhere in there, in your everyday field of life, God is equipping YOU for the great plans He has for you.
My devotion read challenges me to "separate your circumstances from your identity and let Jesus be the only measure of your worth."
If God has you, like me, waiting - just think we are David in the field tending to our sheep. What an honor to be given such an amazing field to tend while we WAIT.


No comments:

Post a Comment